Saturday, October 26, 2013

Living Dairy-Free

Through the years we have had to adapt our favorite recipes for friends or family members who were sensitive to dairy.  Most recipes have been easy to convert.

Many of our baking recipes use either soy or rice milk.  We also prefer dairy-free non-hydrogenated margarines that are a blend of oils, for baking.  Many times you can get away with using olive oil, just keep in mind the taste factor.

If you are solely avoiding dairy as a health choice, not because of an allergy, give yourself about a month to get past the dairy cravings.  For Lent I decided to replace the dairy in my morning coffee with soy milk.  I went through many mornings thinking that life just wouldn't be the same without my dairy!  But 40 days later I tried going back to milk and I had to dump my cup of coffee.  I'm now a soy convert!

If you're preparing food for someone with an allergy to dairy remember that many "non-dairy" items, such as soy and rice cheeses, still contain casein, a protein derived from cow's milk.  A good rule of thumb is to look for "Vegan" on the label, this means there are no animal products added.

Also, just because it says non-dairy, it doesn't mean it's healthy.  For instance, many non-dairy creamers are full of high-fructose corn syrup, colorings and numerous food additives.
Read the ingredients list carefully, not just the label!

-KLJ

No comments:

Post a Comment